CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Ideas!

My mind is overflowing with ideas to implement in my classroom next year. That's right...I got a job! I'm so excited to be given such a wonderful opportunity. I will be teaching 7th, 8th, and 9th English and 8th Reading. I can't wait to get started! As the days creep by, I'm finding it harder and harder not to think about my classroom. It's always on my mind! I've already purchased a bunch of stuff for it, too...and I haven't even seen it yet!

Out of the zillions of ideas floating around in my head, there are two that I am pretty sure I will implement. First, I want my students writing everyday. My plan is to have a daily writing prompt on the board each day as they walk in the door. They will write for the first five minutes of every class. If they don't like the prompt, they don't have to write about it. They can write about anything, so long as they are writing. I will read the entries each Friday. It'll be a little time consuming, but it's a good way to get the students writing, while also getting to know them better. Plus, bellwork is a good classroom management tool.

Second, I plan on implementing a day dedicated to recreational reading. I think recreational reading is so important. It is what fosters a love for reading. There is so much wonderful young adult literature out there. I'm pretty sure it will be Friday as it's the end of the week, and it will be a nice break for the students (and myself!). However, the entire period won't be dedicated just to reading. We will also do book talks! I love book talks. They're such a fresh idea. So much better than a typical book report. They're active and engaging. So my plan is to start the period with the writing bellwork, move into a couple of book talks, then silent reading, and finally a book response.

Well, the hubby just finished dinner. More on my ideas later :) If you have any ideas to contribute, please feel free!!

No comments:

Post a Comment