CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Facebook for the classroom!

I wanted to create a classroom website where my students could find information regarding class if they are gone from school one day. I also wanted somewhere that students could blog, either personally or as though they are characters for assignments. After exploring many different options to meet those needs, I have decided on Schoology.

Schoology is a social networking site designed for use by educational institutions. It looks almost identical to Facebook, and its features are also very similar to Facebook. I think the students will enjoy this source of online communication as it so closely resembles the medium they are using daily. And I will be honest, I thoroughly enjoy Facebook, too, and I know I will enjoy communicating with my students in this way....only on a safer level.

Schoology verifies each user's email address before they are given access to an account. This way, it can be established that each user is, in fact, a member of an educational institution. In addition, there are extra security features that allow you to set who can see your profile and courses.

These are the potential uses and benefits of Schoology:
  • Access to assignments when one is ill or at a school activity
  • Access to assignments if they are forgotten at school
  • Access to homework help via the teacher or other students
  • Access to a calendar to stay updated on due dates and events
  • Access to a blog for personal use or educational use
  • Personal file storage for assignments and materials
I am going to present this option of communication to my students next week. I'm interested to see how many of them will take advantage of it. I intend on giving a survey regarding their use of it at the end of the school year to see if it is worth repeating. I will also give periodical updates to any new uses or benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment