CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 13, 2011

First Lessons=Success!

Today I taught my very first lessons for this student teaching experience. My cooperating teacher was gone half the day for meetings, so instead of a substitute teaching, I went ahead with lesson plans. When my teacher returned for the day, she allowed me to finish teaching the rest of the classes. We were able to reflect on my teaching afterward. I had both successes and areas of improvement, but doesn't everyone? The biggest compliment that she gave me is that I appear very poised and confident. This was nice to hear as I don't necessarily feel that way. It's quite intimidating to get in front of a room of 28 high school juniors. Apparently I hide that intimidation well.

An area of improvement for me is to remember to tell the students why they're learning what they are. I can give them all the information in the world, but so what? They need to know and understand why it's important to their learning, otherwise they aren't going to care. My cooperating teacher said it will come with practice, which I understand. From now on, I will make sure to highlight that part of my lesson plan and read it directly out loud. That might seem a little over kill at first, but until I can remember to do it, I think it's the best way.

Spending the day teaching made the day go by extremely faster than the days when I sit and observe. I hope my teacher and I are able to find a way to keep me involved so the days continue to go by quickly. Although I think observation is beneficial, we've already spent nearly 60 hours observing in other classrooms. I'm ready to teach! Eventually when I teach all day everyday, I'm sure I'll regret saying that :)

After an entire day of teaching, my legs are very mad at me. Who knew teaching could be so exhausting?

3 comments:

  1. Teaching is exhausting, no doubt! So glad your first lessons went well. Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement, Alee! I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome, Ainslee! I have high school juniors too & I agree that it can be a little intimidating! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete